Print Page | Close Window

Right elbow on downswing

Printed From: Rotary Golf Instruction Forum
Category: Golf Instruction
Forum Name: One Plane Swing Theory and Help
Forum Discription: Post questions and thoughts and get help with your one plane swing.
URL: http://www.golfinstructionworld.com/golf-instruction-forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3321
Printed Date: 22 December 2014 at 9:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Right elbow on downswing
Posted By: Magic
Subject: Right elbow on downswing
Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 8:57pm

Look at this elbow position! Any good or too much in front of the hip?

Regards,
Magic

-------------
Regards,
Magic

Replies:
Posted By: One Planer
Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Magic

Look at this elbow position! Any good or too much in front of the hip?

Regards,
Magic

I don't think so, Magic, but I'd like to see a couple more frames to be sure. 

That's Hogan, isn't is?

-------------
One Planer, hcp +1

Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 9:45pm
Uno,
The golfer in question is just some hack that I happened to meet once as a kid growing up in Ft. Worth. Don't know if he ever amounted to anything or not.
Regards,
Magic

-------------
Regards,
Magic

Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 9:55pm

Uno,
The golfer in question is just some hack that I happened to meet once as a kid growing up in Ft. Worth. Don't know if he ever amounted to anything or not.
Regards,
Magic

I think he lost to Byron Nelson in the Shady Oaks Caddie Championship. 

-------------
One Planer, hcp +1

Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 10:27pm
 One Planer wrote,
 "I think he lost to Byron Nelson in the Shady Oaks Caddie Championship."

Yeah, I sorta figured that he was just another also ran.

The point of the post was that the elbow should remain behind the hip during impact. Unfortunately, I don't have the rest of the swing sequence in question, but it showed that the elbow didn't move very much from the position in the clip to that of impact. It straightened somewhat, but pretty much maintained it's relationship to the hip thru impact. Look how open the hips are already and how on plane his left arm and club shaft are. Really shows how the torso was rotating and driving the arms toward the ball. ABT and mind the belly button.

What I wouldn't give to be in that very same position the majority of the time on the course!

Regards,
Magic

-------------
Regards,
Magic

Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 11:09pm

One Planer wrote,

The point of the post was that the elbow should remain behind the hip during impact. Unfortunately, I don't have the rest of the swing sequence in question, but it showed that the elbow didn't move very much from the position in the clip to that of impact. It straightened somewhat, but pretty much maintained it's relationship to the hip thru impact. Look how open the hips are already and how on plane his left arm and club shaft are. Really shows how the torso was rotating and driving the arms toward the ball. ABT and mind the belly button.

What I wouldn't give to be in that very same position the majority of the time on the course!

Regards,
Magic

The right elbow/right hip connection was the key to his timing.  they both came through impact together.  Isn't is amazing that half a century later, he's still the ideal model of a golf swing.  Even Tiger Woods is trying to copy his follow-through with that straight right arm and the shaft pointing straight up.  I've just received the DVD of his match with Snead on Shells Wonderful World of Golf.  What a treat to watch those two legendary players play. 

-------------
One Planer, hcp +1

Posted By: misha
Date Posted: 27 August 2006 at 5:56pm
Does anyone know how I can save this video clip to my hard drive?

-------------
USGA Handicap Index: 15.3

Date Posted: 27 August 2006 at 6:21pm
Hi misha,
I am using Firefox, but it should be very simular for I.E. also. Cursor over the image, then right click. This should bring up a dialog box with several options. Choose the one that says "Save image as" or "Copy Image" or "Save target as" then save the image to your computer. It is a .gif image. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Magic

ps. Misha, if your using I.E., the option that you would choose when right clicking on the image would be "Save Picture as". Then just choose where on your computer to save the clip.

-------------
Regards,
Magic

Date Posted: 27 August 2006 at 9:52pm
Magic, the problem I am having is that it is captured as a still photo without any movement. 

-------------

Posted By: TempUser
Date Posted: 27 August 2006 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by misha

Magic, the problem I am having is that it is captured as a still photo without any movement. 
Misha,

This is ClubCaster in disguise.  After you've copied the photo to your hard drive, you need to open it up with your browser instead of Photo Editor (or whatever your default gif reader is.  Rather than double-clicking on the file, right click on it, then choose Open with -> Internet Explorer. 

Good luck,
ClubCaster

Date Posted: 27 August 2006 at 11:03pm
Thanks, Clubcaster, that did it!

-------------

Posted By: acepepper
Date Posted: 28 August 2006 at 8:25am
Originally posted by misha

Does anyone know how I can save this video clip to my hard drive?
Have you tried just copy and paste? That worked for me.

-------------
Handicap 18 and stuck there.

After an horrendous season, now up to 19

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01 September 2006 at 1:47am
Originally posted by One Planer

One Planer wrote,

Regards,
Magic

The right elbow/right hip connection was the key to his timing.  they both came through impact together.  Isn't is amazing that half a century later, he's still the ideal model of a golf swing.  Even Tiger Woods is trying to copy his follow-through with that straight right arm and the shaft pointing straight up.  I've just received the DVD of his match with Snead on Shells Wonderful World of Golf.  What a treat to watch those two legendary players play. 

Hmmm...Tiger's right arm is so much higher in the follow-through it is not in the same ballpark. He needs A LOT of work if he is trying to copy Hogan. With Haney, TW is two-plane with the long clubs...

Date Posted: 01 September 2006 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Sweetpea

Hmmm...Tiger's right arm is so much higher in the follow-through it is not in the same ballpark. He needs A LOT of work if he is trying to copy Hogan. With Haney, TW is two-plane with the long clubs...

I wasn't implying that Tiger is trying to copy Hogan's entire swing.  I was referring specifically to Tigers straight right arm and vertical club shaft near the finish of his swing with irons.  Tiger rehearses that finish before every iron shot.  Hogan was in that same position -- his right arm and club shaft pointing straight up to the sky just before he relaxed his arms. 

Hogan's right elbow was bent and behind his right hip at impact.  Tiger's right elbow is straight and well in front of his hip at impact.  Gary Player did an analysis comparing Hogan and Tiger at impact on The Golf Channel.  He stated that, if Tiger ever got to Hogan's position at impact, he'd be unbeatable. 

-------------
One Planer, hcp +1

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:41pm

I wasn't implying that Tiger is trying to copy Hogan's entire swing.  I was referring specifically to Tigers straight right arm and vertical club shaft near the finish of his swing with irons.  Tiger rehearses that finish before every iron shot.  Hogan was in that same position -- his right arm and club shaft pointing straight up to the sky just before he relaxed his arms. 

I know exactly what you are referring to, and the finish he practices is considerably more upright than Hogan. Tiger covers about half of his face with his right bicep when he does this: Hogan's right arm arm finished below the chin.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info