FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotary Golf Instruction and Lessons

What irons are you using and what shaft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Chuck Quinton View Drop Down
Rotary Swing Instructor
Rotary Swing Instructor

RotarySwing.com Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Quinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What irons are you using and what shaft?
    Posted: 29 December 2005 at 2:14pm

I'm curious to know what irons most people are playing and with what shaft. I'm currently using Mizuno MP-30's with a stock S300. I'll frequency them tonight. In the past I played TourStage and KZG with Tour Concept X100's frequencied at 6.1 and Rifle's at 5.2. I once played the Callaway Titanium Hawkeye pieces of junk with graphite!!! They frequencied everywhere from 3.2 to 5.8 from the factory - seriously! It was great when I wanted to hit a 180 yard 9 iron, problem was I never knew when that shot would show up and it usually happened when I wanted to smooth a 145 yard 9 iron!

flyfishin View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 2:27pm
I use Ben Hogan Apex II irons with the original Apex stiff shafts still in them. I think they are 23 years old this year. Nothing feels better when you catch it solid. Nothing feels worse when you miss.
hayes959 View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayes959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 3:32pm
Wishon 550's, pw-8 in muscleback and 7-3I in cavity back.  Wishon Series 5 shafts in regular flex.  Last year after shooting the worst round of my life in a tournament I went to my neighbor, the certified clubmaker, and begged for help.  He made 3 demo 5-irons and did not mark nor tell me what length or flex they were.  After two weeks of trial, I returned and said "this one plays the best."  It was an R-flex, I had always played stiff, and it was standard length, I always played 1" long shafts.  Best $500 I ever spent on equipment.  These irons are sweet and consistent.  He made them up using MOI matching and the 3-iron plays like the 7-iron.  I have never hit irons longer nor hit as many quality 3 & 4 irons.  Love 'em.
KenH View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 3:55pm
Cleveland TA5s with steel regular flex shafts.  Hoping to change to something with less offset this year, maybe mizuno or kzg.  

Edited by KenH
Skully View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 4:30pm
 Brand new for X-mas, Hogan FTX edge with apex#4 (stiff) shafts. I just got back from the range for the 1st time with them, and WOW, i absolutely love them!! I have never been a great long-iron hitter, but every single 3iron i hit was perfect. Of course, those range mats have a little forgiveness, but i've never had a better range session than today. 
nohiogolfer View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nohiogolfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 4:32pm
I use Callaway X-14 pro series with rifle 5.5 shafts.  Went to these after 8 years with the older regular style X-12's and its soo much better without all that offset.
jross194 View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jross194 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 5:11pm
Hogan FTX, forged, progressive, irons, stock steel shafts, stiff flex.
marcus923 View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 5:34pm
Callaway X-14s with their stock shaft (True Temper).
novelt View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 6:07pm
Macgregor VIP 1025 CM w/Rifle flighted stiff shafts...I love them!  Mixed set, 3-6 are cavity and 7-P are muscle.  Buttery soft and absolutely beautiful!  They are my first set of forged irons and I can really feel my  golf shots now.  I am not a big fan of the way the new v-foils look but I hear good things about them. 
Novelty - Something new and unusual; an innovation.
One Planer View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Planer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 6:36pm
TaylorMade RAC TP Progressives bent 3* flat with stiock TrueTemper S300 steel shafts, stiff flex.  Very soft feel at impact and good feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic