FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotary Golf Instruction and Lessons

Straightening the right arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
StormRider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straightening the right arm
    Posted: 16 April 2006 at 4:33am

I was with a friend that was taking a lesson from a well known pro who has played on both the PGA and Champions tour and is a well respected teacher.  I watched him teach students that the first move down involved straightening the right arm, which re-establishes the triangle, and sequenced the swing by allowing the arms/shoulders to catch up before turning through.  He then had them turning through more in a one-piece movement.

My question is how do you think this might fit in with the 1PS?  I tried some swings like this and made amazing contact with the ball with good compression, but it seems to be a very different move than Hardy’s where he advocates turning the right forearm down, which positions the hands very close to the body and the club well out in front.  Anyone have any thoughts on this and do you see any place for it in a 1PS or is it mainly a 2PS move?

dave. View Drop Down
Birdie Member
Birdie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 4:41am
I have idea how anyone could hit a golf ball if the first thing they do coming down is straighten the right arm.Its alien to everything I know and do.Complete bonkers.
Chuck Quinton View Drop Down
Rotary Swing Instructor
Rotary Swing Instructor

RotarySwing.com Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Quinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 10:02am
storm, that is a classic two plane move.
Lefty View Drop Down
Eagle Member
Eagle Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 11:56am

Hey! That was one of my old 1 1/2 plane moves-of-the-week. I've forgotten why I gave it up but I remember it worked wonders for that week ...

Doesn't that move have a lot of TGM potential?

Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Lefty Lefty wrote:

Hey! That was one of my old 1 1/2 plane moves-of-the-week. I've forgotten why I gave it up but I remember it worked wonders for that week ...

Doesn't that move have a lot of TGM potential?

Lefty

You sound too much like me Lefty, swing of the week - always trying something new.  I thought I had gotten away from this with the 1PS, and mostly I have, but the problem is that it still ‘goes off’ too often.  I go to the range, hit it great most times [but not always] but then go out and play and for part of most rounds still seem to lose it.  What drives me nuts is the slap or swing without the natural power  - where does it go and how do I get it back.  That is why I think I keep fooling around looking for another magic bullet.  But I think I am still sold on the simplicity of the 1PS and it's general accuracy.  Just don’t understand if there are so few moving parts in the 1PS why anything goes wrong and why I can’t get a lot more consistent a lot quicker.

I can’t wait for the day when all the mechanics work properly ALWAYS, and then it’s just tune-ups and working on tempo etc., instead of being too conscious of what I am doing and constantly changing this little thing or that.

bottomsup View Drop Down
Sitting in Timeout
Sitting in Timeout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bottomsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:59pm
Storm: Golf is hard.
Lefty View Drop Down
Eagle Member
Eagle Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:24pm

Ha! So it is, B-Up, so it is.

Storm, not because I'm any smarter but mostly because I just got tired of looking I don't change things up anymore. Just stick with the fundamentals and engrain them. Passive arms and hands, stay centred and turn back to the ball with the hands feeling like they're being left behind (or the last thing to move). Another way of looking at it is that it's the chest which has to turn, not so much the shoulders (which can tilt instead), in the swing, so if the chest turns away from the ball and then through the ball and finishes pointing at the target, fewer things can go wrong.

You'll create plenty of lag and "whip" the club through the zone - hence you'll compress the ball and get plenty of distance - by keeping your hands back on the downswing as long as you can.

Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:44pm

Originally posted by bottomsup bottomsup wrote:

Storm: Golf is hard.

bottomsup,

If it was easy, don't think I would be still playing without the challange [just don't like it to be so much sometimes].  But as we all know who have been around the game for a long time, it's a life long journey, and that is part of it's beauty.

Lefty,

Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try.  You seem to have moved more in tune with Chuck than Hardy, who is now talking about throwing the right forearm from the top. 

Lefty View Drop Down
Eagle Member
Eagle Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 2:14pm

Storm,

I've been doing what I thought was Jim Hardy's swing for more than six months and then I saw that it wasn't "correct" based on his writings on his website. I then faithfully spent a few weeks "throwing" my left arm around my turning body. It's a very aggressive move and actually a very simple, pure way to swing a club. However, it demands that you go at the ball very hard and twice I felt spasms in my back the following day. I don't typically have back problems so this was the ultimate red flag for me.

I decided to go back to what's simplest for me which, not coincidentally, is also the most effective. As CQ has said many times, we're all really "hybrids" in a sense.

I no longer bend over as much as I did when I was strictly-Hardy and neither do I turn the shoulders to initiate the downswing. I feel I suppose it's my core turning back (very, very passive arms with elbows facing one another and very connected, a la Hogan), then I initiate the downswing with the lower body and just let the arms fall down. The clubface is just square (or sometimes slightly open) without any need for manipulation.

Starting the downswing with the lower body makes it a hell of a lot easier to keep the back elbow by the back hip. I really struggled with this I think because in turning my lead shoulder "out of the way", I would sometimes move it down the line initially before turning it, hence getting the body out in front.

The thing I like about this is that the miss with this swing - which I think of as a mix of Hogan, Vijay and maybe Tiger (in that I feel I sort of "squat" coming down) - is a weak-ish fade and, frankly, that already feels a lot better than those pulls and hooks.

Another interesting side note to this is that I've found, without trying, that I pretty much finish with the back of my left hand facing the target, which is precisely what Jim Hardy advocates with his "gator arms".

Lefty

bottomsup View Drop Down
Sitting in Timeout
Sitting in Timeout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bottomsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 2:40pm

Lefty: curious as I have a slight fade also. I CAN'T afford a fade, because I'm not long enough. I was going to try something, but we got snowed on yesterday and today. Have you ever moved the ball further forward in your stance. Since we're swinging in a circle(hopefully), a fade will come because the club isn't quite square at impact. Moving ball forward will give the club more time to square up? yes/no?

PS: golf is hard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic