Rotary Golf Instruction and Lessons

Technology - Hurting or helping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Chuck Quinton View Drop Down
Rotary Swing Instructor
Rotary Swing Instructor

RotarySwing.com Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Quinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technology - Hurting or helping?
    Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:02pm

Over the past several weeks I've found myself going backwards in equipment. It's interesting, but my game has been evolving into something entirely different and it has made me markedly more consistent. In my "younger" days , I hit the ball a long way, even in college I averaged 317 off the tee (at altitude in Denver however). My iron play was good, but never great, but it really didn't matter because the courses I played were pretty much wide open with no trees, so I would just bomb it over everything and hit a wedge in. Lately I've been getting frustrated because I'm hitting my irons so well that I know if I can just have a reasonable shot from the fairway I'm going to have a very good look at birdie almost every time. The problem is that my driver doesn't really fit that sort of game. All my clubs are about control, old school blades are back in the bag and my new 3 wood is one of my favorite clubs of all time and it was designed 25 years ago! My irons are as traditional as they come and are 5 years old. But my driver has the huge bobble head with the super light graphite shaft (65 grams) and I just can't hit it the same. I've gotten so much more focused on precision and placement and this thing just seems to only work best when I step up and whale away on it. It's almost as if the monster size head discourages control and accuracy and requires you swing hard. It just doesn't "feel" or "look" like a precision club to me, for whatever reason, I really like the tiny clubheads as they seem to help me be more accurate and laser like.

I've gotten so enthralled with my 3 wood that I started looking at the ancient Titleist PT woods. If they made a bore through model I'd already have one. I'm very seriously considering switching back to a steel shafted driver, I haven't had one in about 5 years and the one I had was stupidly straight, but cost me a good 5-10 yards. Anyone else experience something similar? I made an eagle with my 3 wood today on a par 5 at my home course. I hit a perfect little butter fade to 4 foot from 227, with my old three wood I wouldn't have near the control to hit that shot and take that much off with precision. I don't know if it's the bigger head, the steel shaft, the bore through, the COG or a combination of all the above but I LOVE this thing!

waltice View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:06pm

Chuck,

Have you thought about putting a heavier shaft in the driver?

Current USGA Handicap: .1

How I practice and teach golf
Rotary Swing Instructor
Rotary Swing Instructor

RotarySwing.com Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Quinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:11pm
Yeah, I've got an S300 sitting on my bench, but I'd really like a bore through head and this one isn't. I think it makes the head significantly more stable and easier to control. I'm looking at some of the older clubs before everyone decided to move the COG so far back. Maybe a 983E would be a good place to start.
waltice View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:13pm
That would be a good choice to start with!!

Rotary Swing Instructor
Rotary Swing Instructor

RotarySwing.com Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Quinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:15pm
You know what's really interesting about all this? I was reading something the other day about Tiger's first tee shot as a professional. It went 335 yards dead straight, and yep, he was using his old steel shafted 43.5" driver. Sheesh, why change? I know, I know, the thought of getting better and taking advantage of technology but has it paid off? I don't think so.
waltice View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:19pm
Yeah I heard that the other day as well.  It just shows you how much Tiger loves to hit it by other people!! Maybe he will realize after winning The Open he doesnt need to drive it by everyone to win.  I would love to see him go back to a steel shafted driver and dominate everyone!!! That would really be something!! I would bet a lot of people would start reshafting their drivers with steel again!!!

randini View Drop Down
Sitting in Timeout
Sitting in Timeout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 7:03pm

I haven't gone back to a steel shaft yet but I did go from a 460 head to a 360 head with a little heavier shaft & all I have to do is look at that thing & it will fade.  I may have given up 7 - 10 yards but so what .

My problem is I get bored & start working on my draw ( right in the middle of the round)T ball & there goes the fairway.

My home course has several holes that are really tree-lined very close off the tee & dogleg pretty sharpe left to right....so it's fun trying to draw it(lefty here)......lol

RickyHarris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickyHarris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 7:33pm
I think personally the only people this technology has helped is the hackers!
2 years 9 months playing golf, 6 handicap golfer, 15 years old and learning about the golf swing everyday. :-)!
Bird-D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 7:52pm
Chuck funny you should mention.  I have been pondering the same thing.   It took me awhile to purchase a 460cc driver for the fact that it does not 'look' as accurate as a sub 400 cc head.  I don't think they are as accurate, giving my limited experience with hitting diffferent drivers.

Currently I play the Ping G5 with Graffalloy Prolaunch 65 s.  My previous driver was a Titlest 983K with aldila NV65 s.  I can say that i had many more good streaks with my Titleist.  However the shaft is broke in the Titleist.  I am going to reshaft this thing.  Should I go with the NV65 again or would you recommend a change.  I have been eyeing the Proforce V2 75 s.  How does a heavier shaft affect things?  My driver swing averages, I'd say, 105mph.  I have a swing time of 1.08-1.15 seconds.  When swinging like I want, I am producing penetrating mid to mid-high trajectory shots  the average over 300 yards..  Also, I would like to play a shorter shaft.  When I go to say, golfsmith, the only listing i see is 46".  What gives? 

thanks,
db
One Planer View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Planer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 8:28pm
The pro at my club and I were discussing this the other day.  We both concluded that technology has helped golfers but hurt the game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic