FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotary Golf Instruction and Lessons

Club Championship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hayes959 View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayes959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club Championship
    Posted: 25 August 2006 at 10:52am
First the bad news.  I am tied for second, only 9 shots back!  Ouch.
The good news is that the final round is played tomorrow on our East Course from the tips at 7,000 yards and the leader normally shoots 82-84 from the 6700 yd. tees. 

The first round was undbelieveable.  I hit the ball so good and shot 85.  I had three 3-putts and hit a perfect 7-iron on hole #5 that flew the green into waist high junk and took 9.  And I played the hole conservatively!  I didn't miss a shot through 5 holes and I was 7-over.  My short game wasn't stellar either.  Sometimes I have to accept that I cannot always turn poop into perfume.  It was just one of those days, where my ball striking was actually fairly sound and it turned into poop.  ONe thing that I didn't like was I used ProV's instead of the Nike PD Super Soft and spun 3 balls well back off the green. 

I am hitting the ball well this week and honestly believe that I have a legitimate shot to  track down the leader and win the championship tomorrow.  I have scored very well from the back tees all week.  I can make up 6 shots on the front, and the game will be on.  It will be memorable.  I feel it. 

Winfinancial View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winfinancial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 12:21pm
Good luck Hayes. You can do it. Keep turning and pushing that left arm off of your chest with rotation.
Winfinancial 8.5 hdp
Skully View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 6:47pm
Good luck Hayes, and if you can't overcome that deficit then just show them all the muscles you have from your workouts... 
hayes959 View Drop Down
Members Vault Member
Members Vault Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayes959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:20pm
It got very interesting.  We played the tips at 7,000+ yards, it was wet from overngiht rain and the wind kicked up to 20+ mph. 

A dream start.  The leader triples #1 and I par.  He bogeys #2 and I hit a 4-iron to 12 ft. and birdie.  I am 4 down and the game is on.  Unfortunately, I give a few back carelessly.  Then I scrape out a few pars and am 4 shots back after a very nice par on #10.  Then I played a great stretch of holes and got virtually nothing out of it.  The killers being #14 where I hit a 6-iron to 10 ft. behind the pin and lipped out the birdie putt.  On #15 we are both about 14 ft. away, about 1" apart, with a putt that breaks about 12".  I make and then he rolls it in too.  I made up one more shot on #16 and lost by 3.

I made some mistakes, but I also hit some dandy shots that putt the heat on and kept me in almost to the end.  It was fun.  I made some management errors that hurt, but I am seriously taking a hard look at that aspect of my game, beginning immediately.
One Planer View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Planer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by hayes959 hayes959 wrote:

It got very interesting.  We played the tips at 7,000+ yards, it was wet from overngiht rain and the wind kicked up to 20+ mph. 

A dream start.  The leader triples #1 and I par.  He bogeys #2 and I hit a 4-iron to 12 ft. and birdie.  I am 4 down and the game is on.  Unfortunately, I give a few back carelessly.  Then I scrape out a few pars and am 4 shots back after a very nice par on #10.  Then I played a great stretch of holes and got virtually nothing out of it.  The killers being #14 where I hit a 6-iron to 10 ft. behind the pin and lipped out the birdie putt.  On #15 we are both about 14 ft. away, about 1" apart, with a putt that breaks about 12".  I make and then he rolls it in too.  I made up one more shot on #16 and lost by 3.

I made some mistakes, but I also hit some dandy shots that putt the heat on and kept me in almost to the end.  It was fun.  I made some management errors that hurt, but I am seriously taking a hard look at that aspect of my game, beginning immediately.

Put the "dandy shots" in your memory bank, Hayes.  Those are the ones that build confidence. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic